The other day (Friday morning), my good friend David and I ventured over to The Dive Bar near 95th and Amsterdam for what he called "a pretty extensive breakfast list."
When we arrived at the funky, dingy bar at 11:00 am, I felt like an alcoholic returning to the evil fold. The smell of old beer still felt like it hung near the angular fishtank near the window. Paint-peeling decorations like ship-front mermaids dotted the bar's dark counter.
I order the $9.99 Irish Breakfast, which boasted "Irish bacon, sausages, beans, black and white pudding, toast and eggs." First of all, Irish breakfasts don't involve beans...that's for the English. And they usually have soda bread and half a grilled tomato. (I spent three summers in Northern Ireland and Cork, in case you're curious.) Still, I love rashers, so I bit.
The meal arrived, alas, with regular bacon overly crisp, and rye-esque bread. But the sausages seemed authentic, and indeed, black and white pudding was in great supply—in fact, six or so thick slices studded the plate.
Too much food, and it made me burp the rest of the day, but I was impressed.
For nothing, here's an idea we came up with over breakfast: why isn't there a breakfast place that specializes in regional world morning food? Congee, rashers, pastachi, herring, and whatever Indian culture enjoys at dawn. We concluded that we think most people prefer breakfast to be recognizable and comforting, as opposed to exotic. Is this true? I'd be first in line for breakfast exotica.
Saturday, April 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment