I'm recounting an old experience I had a few months ago here in New York City, and I'm still fuming.
I was heading to work, and the thought occurred to grab a bagel on the way. But I thought to myself: I'm late. I'll get to work first, and then catch a bagel later. So I went upstairs, got to my desk, and of course I became distracted by phone messages, email, and my own short attention span.
Soon enough, it was 11.
No problem. But it was definitely time for a bagel.
Well, you can guess what happened by the subject header. I went to the local deli/salad-tosser/sushi/overpriced hot-table racket, one of about 854,347 in Manhattan. I saw bagels. I made a beeline, and asked for one with cream cheese.
"Sorry, we're not serving breakfast anymore," was the response.
I was infuriated. I demanded that bagel. And they at last relented, but they wouldn't give me cream cheese.
"You have cream cheese?" I asked.
"Yes, but it's not breakfast," they answered.
I refused to buy the bagel, and went elsewhere. Which began an hour-long odyssey to five different places, all of which: a) had bagels but no cream cheese, b) cream cheese but no bagels, c) neither bagels nor cream cheese, or d) bagels AND cream cheese, both of which they refused to sell me.
I finally got cream cheese at one place, a bagel at the other, and went back to work soul-crushed.
There were no honest-to-goodness bagel places around, the type that actually (gosh!) serve bagels and cream cheese ALL DAY LONG. But this horror show in midtown taught me the bureaucracy of eating on this overpopulated isle. I feel no sympathy to these fly-by-night Paxes and Food Exchanges (what are we supposed to be exchanging, anyway?). May they all go out of business; if they were really desperate for money, they'd sell me that damn bagel and cream cheese.
Thursday, May 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment